April 21, 2012

Tupperware

If I'm addicted to anything, it's Tupperware. Vintage and current. I like to collect vintage Tupperware. It's probably my most favorite thing to collect. I also like to buy new Tupperware to use. I haven't been to or hosted an actual Tupperware party in years. But every now and then, I'll catch a glimpse of a catalog and I want! Or sometimes I'll find a new, usually unused, piece in a thrift store for cheap and I score!

In doing some research for this post, I ran across this:


It's a Tupperware bread box (obviously) and it's called a BreadSmart. It's so retro looking. I've got to have one! But I've only seen them on international Tupperware sites... France, Germany, Belgium. How come we don't get them?? I've seen a couple keychains of them on our eBay. I guess I'll have to save my euros to get one shipped from France.

View this entire catalog in photosnack at the bottom of this post.

I love to collect vintage Tupperware catalogs, brochures and postcard invites. It's fun to see things I have and use in my kitchen that women also used years ago. My mom used to have Tupperware parties and we had all sorts of Tupperware in our house. Such a strong childhood memory for me.


Tupperware used to carry the Good Housekeeping Seal. I checked Good Housekeeping's list of products and brands and Tupperware isn't listed. Not sure why. Did you know that if a product carries the Good Housekeeping Seal, Good Housekeeping promises a refund or replacement of a defective product within two years of purchase? I didn't know that. Of course, they have a long list of exclusions, but still a nice thing to know. I guess I've always seen the seal as just their recommendation.


The black handles are called Carioliers. Why? Even in the catalog it says handle in parentheses right after Cariolier. To go along with the Handoliers, I suppose. I see these Carioliers in thrift stores sometimes, without the canister or Handolier.


So cheerful, Mrs. Mom is, in her peachy kitchen.


The hostess gifts back then were not Tupperware. You could get his and hers watches, a portable hair dryer, even Oneida silverware.


Cheery, Mrs. Mom again, showing off her well-stocked freezer. Not a bag of frozen veggies or a box of Popsicles in sight. Wait... is it the same woman? I'm not sure.


I so absolutely remember these brushes and always unclipping the bristle piece from the handle and fighting to get it back in.


Now this is kind of neat. Cordienne, Tupperware's fancy word for cordkeeper. You still see parts of the cord, but its not a tangled mess of cord. And again with the fancy words... Cordienne, Floralier. 


Tupperware is handy for many other non-food items. Utility Trays can hold Sister's makeup, Grandma's crochet, Dad's camera and film, Junior's fishing equipment, and... Mom's gun and bullets! Please do not store weapons and ammunition in Tupperware. If you have them in your home, keep them under lock and key in appropriate containers.


I noticed on the back cover that Tupperware used to be a division of Rexall Drug and Chemical Company, along with West Bend and Duracell. And that Tupperware used to be listed in the Yellow Pages. Nowadays, there are Tupperware kiosks in the mall and virtual Tupperware parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment